Wednesday, January 20, 2010

First Day!




I am finally in Cape Town and already loving it! We got to our house around midnight last night, and have the best roommates. Seven of us live in a house on Church Street with one RA. We all get our own rooms and have three bathrooms to share so there’s plenty of room. This morning around 6 I was woken up by a really really loud noise outside my window which turned out to be a train! I didn’t see the tracks last night because it was dark, but there is a train literally right outside my window. The noise is going to take a little getting used to!
Today we had some orientation and then went sight seeing in one of the oldest townships called Langa. The city is absolutely beautiful with construction everywhere getting ready for the World Cup. The township was really interesting because there were nice houses and then right across the street were the most horrible shacks I have ever seen. All the little kids wanted to come play with us which I loved! In the township it is common to eat sheep’s head!! They said its just like a hot dog stand in the US. So, of course I had to try a tiny bite of the meat which wasn’t too great, but it wasn’t too bad either! I had some of the cheek and the eye! They call it “smiley” because the sheep head is always smiling! One thing I noticed is that it is extremely windy in Cape Town and not hot even though its summer. Of course I still got burned while we were walking around outside!
Tomorrow we have orientation all day and get to go visit different sites that we can chose from to do our service hours. I was talking with the IES director today and mentioned how I loved working with an orphanage in Uganda so she asked me if I would be willing to help organize a team project at one of the service sites! I’m really excited about the opportunity to do that later in the semester. Our electricity just cut off so I think I'm going to bed because it says we used all our electricity! haha welcome to Africa!
I am going to try to upload some pictures, but I’m not exactly sure if it will work. If the pictures are there, two are of the sheep heads and another one is me with two of the kids in the township!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Audrey! Sounds like you hit the ground running. Thanks for the update. Did the sheep taste anything like chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh!! I still like "churrasco" better!!! Hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi audge...first off, this is a really cute blog. second, i cant believe you ate a sheep head hahaha ridiculous.
    miss you already and i'll keep you up to date on happenings in the US fo sho. love youuu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Audrey!!!! I am so proud that you ate sheep head. You've come a long way since your days of grilled cheeses only. Hope you are having fun. Watch out for Somalian Pirates. Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Audrey!! It's Pookie. You are more of a man than I am. I probly wouldn't have eaten a smiling sheep head. Hope you are having fun. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey guys!! well i was pretty grossed out by the sheep so i only ate really small bites but it was just like salted meat, didnt really taste like anything! thanks jm glad you are proud of me haha! i already got the recipe for how to make "fat cakes" which are really good so i'm gonna try and make those soon! love and miss yall!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are my hero. from grilled cheeses and hamburgers to sheeps heads and eyeballs...wow. wish i was there to enjoy it with you and well at least just to watch your face as you ate it! next time you are offered something strange to eat at least video tape it so i can see the priceless face you make. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for letting us follow along, Audrey! We love you and are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete